People do not come into therapy to change their past, but their future. ~Milton H. Erickson
There are times in people’s lives when they may feel that they are dealing with problem situations, frustrations, crises or troubles that are beyond their control or that are very difficult to deal with. Others may feel that they are lacking something in life and are not living to their full potential. Very often it may be a combination of the above that bring people to therapy.
In therapy, I assist my clients to resolve past issues and to learn how to manage the problem situation. I also aim to help them to learn new and different coping skills and aid them in discovering their own strengths and resources that they can use to deal with other problem situations in their daily lives. The aim of therapy is therefor to:
- help clients identify the underlying patterns holding the issue in place and;
- then breaking the pattern by providing an emotional corrective experience that releases the trauma/issue;
- empower the client with knowledge and effective tools so that ultimately;
- therapy assists clients to become more effective in helping themselves in their everyday lives.
I provide individual therapy to assist clients with a wide variety of emotional and psychological difficulties, including (but not limited to):
- Adjustment related difficulties
- Anxiety disorders (including generalized anxiety, specific anxieties and fears and phobias, Obsessive Compulsive Disorder etc.)
- Anger management
- Bereavement and grief work
- Childhood-related trauma and abuse (including emotional, physical and sexual abuse)
- Chronic pain management / chronic illness
- Depression / mood disorders
- Dealing with divorce
- Harmful habits – smoking, binge eating, Trichotillomania
- Relationship difficulties – romantic, family, friends, colleagues
- Occupational/workplace –related issues (EAP)
- Pregnancy / birth preparations / termination of pregnancy-related issues/miscarriage
- Postpartum depression and anxiety
- Stress management
- Self-development, self-confidence and self-esteem related issues
- Trauma – acute and long term/PTSD
- Weight-related issues
Please note: I offer therapy for adult clients (age 20 yrs and older) only.
Therapy is provided in Afrikaans and English.
Therapy is available as in-person sessions or online sessions.